Friday, July 20, 2012

Incorporating Video Games into Curriculum

I had never considered that Angry Birds could be used in the classroom.  That being said, I found our guest speaker's presentation to be enlightening and inspiring.  It really made me realize that technology is something we are going to have to use in our classrooms and we can use it in ways that really engage students.  I especially liked his sentiment that we can use activities as a means to engage students in subjects they struggle with.  It seems that incorporating a game like Angry Birds helps to make students comfortable with a subject.  It is with this comfort that students open up and may see a subject in a different light.  Yet what struck me most is that games, like Angry Birds, can be used as a way to get students to pose their own questions.  According the speaker, students start questioning the best players and strategies.  Not only does this engage students with the material, it also creates a team atmosphere.  The atmosphere or environment of a classroom can make all the difference, and by using inquiry-based activities, a positive learning atmosphere can be created.

Still, I am finding it difficult to see how games can be incorporated in an English curriculum. I understand there are many places for technology in an English classroom--podcasts, blogs, online forums--yet I am unsure how I would incorporate an actual video game. I'm am hoping we learn more about how games are used across all disciplines because I think they are interesting learning tools to consider.

I also enjoyed the speaker's discussion on use of Twitter in education.  I have never thought of Twitter as an educational tool, but I am beginning to see its merits.  It seems like a great way to not only generate discussion among educators, but also share teaching strategies and lesson plans.  I also think it would be really interesting to incorporate Twitter in the classroom, perhaps by having an account solely dedicated to class. I think this would be an interesting way to get students involved in their learning.

Using Weebly is also a new experience for me.  While I am initially skeptical of posting information online, I think it could be a useful professional tool in the future.  I more so see it as a tool to be used in classrooms. I think it would be great to have students navigate boundaries between the personal and the professional by using Weebly. I especially see this being a useful tool for high school seniors, as it could help teach them how to present themselves in a professional way.  

Overall, I feel like my view toward technology is evolving and I am starting to feel less afraid of the reality that I will have to use it in my classroom.  When I can see educational benefits of Twitter, anything is possible. 


7 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I love the idea of using a twitter account solely for class. As an English teacher, I imagine asking students to tweet a haiku about the day's class as a type of exit ticket. I could also tweet the night's hw assignment and any links to supplementary materials about what we've been studying in class. With twitter anything is indeed possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked Friday's class. I hope we get a chance to hear from more former MAC students as the year goes on- it's really cool to learn about what they go on to do and how they design their classrooms after this program!

    You talked about the difficulty of incorporating video games in an English classroom- I feel the same way about French. But maybe we're just not aware of all the options yet? I bet there are some really interesting educational games out there for every discipline. I hope this class will give us the opportunity to familiarize ourselves with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you able to use Angry Birds in a meaningful and educational way? I noticed what you said about helping them to question strategies and to build teamwork, but wouldn't this also be accomplished with a variety of other games, ones that are possibly more complex? The only types of games that I think might be useful in English classrooms are word games such as scabble or text twist. I realize these are not the type of games that were discussed, but they do involve many of the same aspects as other games, only without the large online community and avatars. As for twitter, since I wasn't there to hear this explained, I am struggling to see its educational merits. I would think that a sight like edmodo.com would be a better use in the classroom. It is similar to facebook, but only for students, parents, and teachers. I had not thought about using the weebly site in the classroom, but I agree that it could be useful for high school seniors to learn more about. I like the idea of using this as a tool for students to learn how to seperate their personal and professional lives at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angry birds would have no place in my future classroom as a Spanish teacher. However, I have seen various programs for conjugating verbs and recognizing vocabulary words. Given the right graphics and score system, this could be a very fun and competitive thing for the students to involve in with my room. I could also use the learning strategies present in these games to create a game that we play on the whiteboard. The main point that I gathered was that the strategies that the students needed to utilize in order to beat the games are also present in the classroom, and that we must create an environment where these strategies are put to good use. This can be done with or without the use of complex technology, like video games.
    I was also surprised by the use of twitter, but only for a few seconds. My first thought was about how twitter is used as a means for people to make an astute observation followed by a #cute2cents, or just tell us what gave them a stomach ache #tacobell. Now that I've had time to think this over, it seems obvious that people use twitter to disseminate knowledge about all sorts of things, including teaching practices. I should start following some new people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathlyen, I think edmoto is a great site too. In class, Jeff explained how we can follow education bloggers/people on Twitter. It seems like a great way to network and connect with other teachers.

    Grahm, I really like your comment that people use Twitter to "disseminate knowledge." I completely agree with this and am excited to see how I can use Twitter to aide in my teaching career.

    Colleen--I hope that we will find games for more humanities classes. I'm sure there have to be some great ones related to languages. It seems like incorporating a game in your French class could be really useful!

    Mr. Shap-I like your idea of having a class Twitter with homework reminders. Because everyone is so "wired" into technology, I think it's important that we keep up with our students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really intrigued by what you said about using games such as Angry Birds in classrooms, especially to help students become more comfortable with different subjects. I wonder what this would actually look like in a classroom. How could we incorporate games like Angry Birds? Although I have no doubt that it could be positively incorporated, I am having a hard time seeing how. What was the example that the guest speaker gave? How great would it be for education to be entertaining! Twitter really can be a great resource not only for keeping up with friends, but also for learning new teaching practices and methods. I'm excited to begin exploring the internet as an educator! Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your last sentence. I'm a social networking skeptic and really only tried Twitter years ago because everybody was bragging about its awesomeness at an ed tech conference (MACUL - we'll go as a class in March). I gave it 30 days ... but by then, I was hooked. It could happen to you ... :)

    ReplyDelete