Friday, July 27, 2012

Class Reflection

I found class to be really helpful today, as I got to learn about a lot of applications and resources that I previously did not know much about.  I enjoyed seeing everyone's handouts and hope they will be helpful if I teach these tools to my students or use these tools in the classroom.  Our group had a unique approach to some of the teaching sessions because we used Google hangout.  One group member posted his powerpoint on Google hangout and we were able to easily follow along. I thought this was also beneficial because I learned more about Google Plus and the ways in which it is similar to different from Skype.

Before class, I was unclear as to how Skype could be used in the classroom because I have always equated it with video chatting.  However, we learned a lot about how Skype can be used in the classroom. (http://www.teachingdegree.org/2009/06/30/50-awesome-ways-to-use-skype-in-the-classroom/)  I love the idea of using Skype to talk to an author.  I think this is a great way for students to engage with texts in a new way.  I also like the idea of using Skype between classrooms.  I think it would be really cool to have a middle school and high school collaborate with one another and use Skype to tutor or peer teach.  Skype does, however, seem to be something with which teachers need to have clear guidelines.  That is, I think it is necessary to introduce Skype as an educational tool, not simply a place to video chat with friends.

My handout was on Evernote and while I don't think I would use it personally, I think it could be great in a classroom.  I like the idea of students storing their notes in Evernote and being able to share them with one another.  It also seems like it could be a good way to compile lists of resources needed for a class.  I am also interested in exploring Diigo more, as it also seems to be a great place to store and share stuff.

Overall, I feel like I walked away from class knowing four new tools that I can use in my teaching.

4 comments:

  1. I love Diigo! It's interesting -- Evernote definitely appeals to some teachers more than others. I use it to store random bits of information (what's my Delta frequent flyer #?) and photos of stuff I'd like to make someday, but I store almost every other kind of bookmark in Diigo. Ultimately, I think all of us come up with a kind of pastiche that helps us navigate an overwhelming world of information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I found a lot of the information presented on Friday new and exciting. I liked your groups utilization of Google hangout - it fit the goals of this lesson perfectly like a glove! I too have always equated Skype with video chatting, but there truly are some inventive and fun ways to better use it. Do you anticipate using any of these programs prevalently in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think I will use Skype in my classroom, as I hope to collaborate with other classes from different schools. I think it's a powerful way to promote peer learning and I hope to explore this idea in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie's corner,
    I also like the idea of skyping with an author or an expert. As an English teacher I think skype could open up world literatures in ways that were not possible before. In addition to skyping with authors do you think students could also skype with experts from foreign countries? Your idea makes Stanley...no longer flat!

    ReplyDelete