Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Last Day

Let me start by saying the guest speakers we had in class were fantastic.  Not only did we get a picture of what it is like to teach in different schools, such as charter and privates schools, we got a sense of what technology looks like in the classroom.  Our panelists used technology in varied ways and even though some panelists don't have the opportunity to use technology extensively in their classroom, it was great to see that everyone was open-minded.  From this summer semester, I've learned that it is important to be open-minded with regard to technology.  Sure, it may be a difficult change for some of us, but as technology becomes even more a part of our lives, it seems that it will become a prominent part of our classrooms.  But, it was really great to see how MAC-ers are making a difference in and out of the classroom.   

When class started, I viewed technology as to be somewhat anxiety producing--will I know how to use all technology? Am I going to completely embarrass myself in front of my students? And: what if I'm not good at it? That last question is one that has been bouncing around in my mind for a while but I have learned that technology is here for my benefit.  I may not like every program or tool I use but there are so many options that I am bound to find many that will work for my classroom. I think it's a matter of trying a lot of different tools and seeing which are the best fit for me and my classroom. 

For right now, I am happily keeping an open mind about technology in the classroom and see it not only as a resource for my classroom, but a tool for learning. 

2 comments:

  1. OUr panelists were great, i enjoyed their enthusiasm for the program and their jobs. it makes me feel good to see such a positive attitude. I was also anxiety ridden before the program started, but by using it i am learning how to stay calm in the face of adversity when it ones to technology. my students will hear about this triumphant story and hopefully be able to do the same thing.
    It is a great tool for learning, and we must all use it as much as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little anxious, too, about getting comfortable with all the technology we'll have to use in our classrooms. But in the end, I think we can "learn on the job," as Kristin said on Friday, and also incorporate the skills we've developed in 504. I think it's so important, like you said, to keep an open mind about technology- it can open a lot of doors for us as teachers.

    ReplyDelete